Sunday, August 5, 2018

Does Bryan Adams look like Albert Steptoe?

A couple of days ago, we went to see Bryan Adams, the Canadian rocker, at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto... OK its called the Scotiabank Centre these days but I still think of it as the ACC as do the signs heading in. Whilst it didn't confuse me, it apparently did Bryan Adams who was stuck in traffic a way away and decided it would be easier to walk and found himself confronted with signs to the ACC! Anyway we all made it, him 21 minutes late as the show started at 8.21 pm not the advertised 8 pm.



This is something I find inherently weird as rock concerts in the old days never ran on time. The time on the ticket was merely a first stab in the dark. I remember some venues simply saying "Doors Open at ..." instead of even trying to hazard a guess at what time things would kick off. I suppose it is all down to getting old and the venues themselves now having to adhere to health and safety standards, employment standards, cut off times and such. But anyway along with improvisation, things have changed.



It was a really great show. He got everyone up from the first song and kept it going for more than 2 hours with everyone on their feet, stomping, cheering and singing along.



I still cannot fathom why The Eagles didn't do the same only a couple of weeks ago at the same venue. They have a great catalogue and could easily have done so but seemed to actively chose not to.

Bryan has got older though. I remember him as a teenager I think in early MTV days doing 'Summer of 69', a great song on many levels. But he is in great nick.



There was a movie of him as backdrop walking through the Eaton Centre mall. Most people didn't recognize him but about half a dozen did and he stopped to shake hands or high 5 them. All in all he seems a thoroughly nice guy too. I like the fact that its still his original band from teenage days. Not many are like that. The first time I heard him live was at Live Aid in 1985. This set in fact... enjoy!



Anyway I still think he looks like Albert Steptoe. A bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment