Sunday, July 28, 2019

Auntie Blanche

We have a long time family friend who is turning 90 in October this year, our ex-next door neighbor universally known as Auntie Blanche. Blanche was one of the first people we met when we moved to Bermuda as she and her husband, Ernest (uncle Moniz to the children), lived next door and as chance would have it, had owned the property that we moved into beforehand but had recently sold it to our then current landlords. So Ernest who was a handyman of the first order knew precisely where everything was and went in our place. This was a great help as my skills do not extend that far into the handyman domain so on occasion it was massively helpful to have a fount of knowledge so close to hand. For advice and as it most often turned out, assistance to the point of my doing pretty much nothing.

Blanche and Ernest also loved our children. Indy was 7 months old when we arrived in Bermuda whilst Dee Dee was born there. They would actively encourage us to go out at weekends so that they could look after the pair of them and put them up overnight. In short they were the Bermuda grandparents that our boys would never have otherwise had.

On the occasion when Viv would go away, Blanche would ask me if I'd like her to do my laundry as I was working and looking after the boys before and after school. I would never say no and over time it became something of a bit of fun, for me at least, when Blanche asked if I wanted starch on my shirt collars. I said yes the first time but in reality had no clue what starch was and if or not it went on shirt collars. I was being polite and trying not to appear too dopey. I don't think I fooled anyone.

Blanche and the boys
When Ernest passed away, Blanche continued to live in their home. By this time we had moved away and left our beloved Anchor Down for it was getting too small as the boys got older but continued to pop around to visit Auntie Blanche who would always bring out tea, most often banana bread or on occasion other treats as she was a terrific cook, particularly baker. It was at Blanche's house that I discovered the delight that is cherry and walnut cake.

I don't know how many times Blanche has told us her recipes for shortcrust pastry, mince tarts, her famous Christmas cake and this wondrous cherry and walnut cake. It has been many. This has meant therefore that whilst Blanche would chide us for not getting it, she would come up with the goodies herself. For many years therefore one of my greatest treats was receiving one or more of Blanche's Christmas cakes and a cherry and walnut cake.

On one occasion, Blanche gave me two such cakes. One to share with the family and one just for me. Blanche understood things very well as there was much competition for the cake, not so much from the boys but from Viv and her mum, Anna, when she visited. I would try to ensure no cakes were around at times like this but clearly forgot this time. It was a time I was really busy at work so I was working very long hours and forgot about the cakes until one day I remembered and thought I'd have a piece with a cup of tea before going to bed. I took the cake out of its foil wrap and to my horror discovered the top, sides, bottom and ends all cut off with just a longish finger of cake from the middle remaining. It was too late that day, but the following day I called Blanche and told her the tragic tale. She didn't believe me. So I took the offending cake over to her house and showed her. Whilst I was distraught, Blanche started to sympathize but in the end started laughing helplessly. I don't think I've actually seen anyone laugh that much. But remaining on point for the moment, from that time on Blanche knew exactly what I had to contend with so made a point of making cakes just for me with another on the side to share.



Time has moved on, and Blanche left her family home to live in a smaller apartment next to her niece but she continues to make the occasional cake and mince tart. It is harder work these days but when we just visited Blanche showed me her latest offering: it was a beautiful cherry and walnut cake... just for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You cannot know how good this cake is until you try it. So good.
We have had so many wonderful times with Blanche over the years that she has become an icon for the family. For several years, Dee Dee would go over to Auntie Blanche's house on Christmas Day to share her lunch as Blanche liked to eat early (we ate late) and then come back home for our later dinner. Indy still visits when he is in Bermuda as do we. Viv calls Blanche regularly. We'll be back for Blanche's 90th, that's for sure. Wouldn't miss it and who knows, maybe a cherry and walnut cake.....?

No comments:

Post a Comment